Brent Ryan Bellamy
Brent Ryan Bellamy is an independent scholar. He currently studies narrative, US literature and culture, science fiction, and the cultures of energy. Two central questions motivate his work:
(1) What does it mean to imagine alternative energy futures?
(2) How can we best understand the social relations, infrastructures, and politics of fossil fuels in order to move beyond them?
He is currently taking up these questions in three projects:
(1) His first book Remainders of the American Century: Post-Apocalyptic Novels in the Age of US Decline (under advanced contract with Wesleyan UP);
(2) A co-edited book Loanwords to Live With: An Ecotopian Lexicon (University of Minnesota Press, 2019) with Matthew Schneider-Mayerson, which features 30 short entries of loanwords from science fiction and ecological struggles; and
(3) A co-edited special issue of Science Fiction Studies on Climate Crisis with Veronica Hollinger (November 2018).