Brent Ryan Bellamy
Brent Ryan Bellamy is a CRC Postdoctoral Fellow in Cultural Studies at the University of Alberta (2017-2018). He currently studies narrative, US literature and culture, science fiction, and the cultures of energy. Two central questions motivate his work:
(1) What does it mean to imagine alternative energy futures?
(2) How can we best understand, in order to move beyond, the social relations, infrastructures, and politics of fossil fuels?
He is currently taking up these questions in three projects:
(1) His first book Remainders of the American Century: Post-Apocalyptic Novels in the Age of US Decline (under advanced contract with Wesleyan UP);
(2) A co-edited book Loanwords to Live With: An Ecotopian Lexicon Against the Anthropocene with Chantal Bilodeau and Matthew Schneider-Mayerson, which features 37 short entries of loanwords from science fiction and ecological struggles; and
(3) A co-edited special issue of Science Fiction Studies on Climate Crisis with Veronica Hollinger.